Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Story and a Question to All
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:48 am 

First off, I apologize for the length of this post, but I felt that I would get a much better understanding out of this whole thing with more input from everyone else. Basically this is an exchange between myself and someone who requested to see some basic military photography that I have shared with you all in the gallery section that this person discovered I did through one of my social networking profiles. Thanks in advance for the read;

Per request, an individual was sent photographs taken in full uniform to demonstrate the small aspects of photography I have been experimenting with. They were the German Army Flecktarn photographs featured on this site. The response I acquired about a week later was this;

‘Yeah I took a gander, cute poem and it’s weird to think that military gear is real… Was it some costume or are you just interested in wars?’

Denote the poem part for the moment, but the rest you can tell was coming across as a smart-ass comment, you can tell by the context especially when ‘interested in wars,’ was referenced.
Only afterward a response was given to the feedback;

‘It is mainly collected for the sake of keeping the past alive in my own way. I collect and preserve iconic symbolism that is featured in these uniforms and memorabilia. They can also be used to make a decent amount of money if you get into selling surplus. Collectors like myself also use them for war games or paintball sometimes as well. Not only that but I feel that it shows the best and worst of humanity in various aspects, the flawless details put into every bit of equipment, nothing is unnecessary unlike typical technology and equipment you see in everyday life. In its own way, it’s beautiful.’

After that response I immediately received one back;

‘Yeah the worst and pathetic and greedy. I despise government and military, can you tell?’

Now reading this you can already note two inconsistencies here, one is that why would you want to see something based around the military if you hate it so much? And two, why would you bring politics into the mix as well? Somehow you may already have guessed it, but after a few more swaps back and forth, it was all for a ‘flame war.’

The details were based around how government is unnecessary and harmful, typical anarchists talk. And that the military was to blame for all of the world’s trouble simply because it exists and is armed with weapons that they use to kill people in general, never giving a single clue as to who they are killing.

And my response was relentless; I noted how without a semi-stable government all would descend into chaos, not only that, but the military that you despise so much is what keeps the balance between good and evil in this world. Without them you would most likely be born into a Nazi death camp or cease to exist all together due to the fascist religious extremists that continually bomb and murder countless of normal every day people for the sake of their own convoluted beliefs. And that the world would get to the point where it would be unable to sustain life on the planet from all of the relentless attacks made by North Korea for example, where radiation would create a dead zone in areas of the world that are essential not only for humans to cultivate and live off of, but the other organisms that live there as well would be completely extinct. The world’s ecosystem would be permanently thrown off balance and it would slowly ascend into oblivion.
I also made note that with these ‘biological weapons,’ that this person quotes so much, even though they are forbidden by the Geneva Convention from being used by all participating countries, such as nerve gas bombs and so forth, that there maintains a simple entity of deterrence, which keeps everyone else from screwing around with an all out war on the rest of the countries of the world. Which I assume they meant nuclear weapons, hopefully, which would explain the understood law of deterrence.

After another message was written back stating mindless garble about how, ‘if weapons and government didn’t ever exist we would all be better off.’
Which was replied with the simple stature that if weapons and government didn’t exist, people would use another word and method for doing what they did in the first place; going back to swords, rocks, and clubs for killing that are less humane than they are effective. And that without government ever existing, even simple groups or tribes would be out of the question, making human kind a loner and therefore exterminating itself off of the face of the planet from sheer misanthropy and negligence.

And only after this drawn out fight was concluded did I realize that this entire thing wasn’t even worth my time, but it also raised a question, which is the point of this already drawn out thread;

What does the rest of the people that collect these items do with their equipment? Why is it so appealing to us? And why does such negativity come from it when it’s something as simple as camouflage or body armor? Why do people have such foolish ideology that they feel it to be necessary to waste someone else’s time just to try and prove a point that can never be proven?

To be honest with you, maybe I just don’t understand some people quite as much as I used to think I did. But I want to open the floor to the rest of you all about this and about these questions.
Maybe this just confuses me, but I’d like to open up philosophy to try and explain this better than I could.

Post subject: Re: A Story and a Question to All
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:14 am 

I collect these items for two reasons: the first is for "insurance" and the second well I find it rather appealing. As to why is that I believe that there is more than just fighting in the army, for as you said so yourself; they have a reason for the killing. And no I do not get my views from mainstream society

Why do people waste time trolling? Well even I don't have a clue but if you want my answer comrade from what I know is that people are idiots. Just taking their freedom which their forefathers fought for and wiping it on their arse. Yet again, I am a misanthrope which is ironic consider my political stance...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 pm 

Typical troll mentality comrade. I usually ignore people with such a short sighted mindset, because all my efforts to converse with them ended in vain. During situations like this, I appreciate the small community that we have built here, since you all share the same interest and ideology as I do, and I feel that I am free to express the political opinions I have.

I collect militaria for mostly practical reasons, such as defending myself in case a war breaks out. After all, my country is in a difficult political situation at the time, although it is quite stable now compared to the past. It would be nice to have bodyarmor and other military gear, when bad guys come knocking at your door. My second reason is for entertainment, since I am mostly fascinated by the history of warfare. Militaria is the best or closest thing you can get to war without actually going to a combat zone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:34 pm 

I agree with both of you on your responses, and I appreciate the feedback.

It just never ceases to astound me when someone talks so much trash on a simple hobby as well as broaden their argument to offend so much of what is 100% necessary regardless of the aftermath. Politics need to be improved everywhere, but without the military and the regular fighters that participate in civil protection across the globe, there would be nothing left to stop the oppressive extremist ideology that corrupts human kind today.

Even as you stated, Antankov, they take the freedom that was given to them by their ancestors, their people, their blood, and spit on it as if it is something that wasn't worth having. As if it was worthless to them because of the sacrifices they selflessly made, it enrages me just thinking about it...

But to take a simple hobby, and blow it all out of proportion, has got to be the absolute stupidest thing I have ever had someone do to attempt to 'one-up,' me. And by God I will say right now that person most definitely NOT by any means get anywhere close to that, after my third response they never replied back and they ended up blocking my profile preventing me from bashing them and their foolish beliefs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:04 pm 

The fact this person is trying to browbeat you into sharing their opinion shows that they arent really that coinfident in their beliefs. If they were really confident in their beliefs they wouldnt need to argue the toss with you about how theyre right. Their stated position would be enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:27 am 

I agree Vityaz, I would have accepted someones belief that they think that maybe military force is sometimes unnecessary and political situations still need work, but I just cannot accept someone's thinking when they say that it's 100% unnecessary and everyone affiliated with it, even on a hobby standpoint, is stupid for believing in it.

I just can't see how someone could logically come to that sort of conclusion. If it was in the context above I would have just said; 'Hey I respect your opinion and yes maybe it does need more work, nothing is perfect for everything made by human kind is also made in it's image, and human kind is not perfect by any means. But I also believe that it needs to be where it is today as well.' Rather than theoretically smashing their face into the ground with how stupid their ideology is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:50 am 

Pacifists and Anarchists are nothing but idealistic fools. Although many people call me that for my beliefs. The truth is, as long as there are fundamental differences in the world, be them religion, nationalism, economic systems, class differences, there will always be war and always a necessity for a military of some sort. When pacifists and anarchists can actually write down and prove their system works, I'll believe them. But every time one of them quotes Noam Chomsky I just want to punch them in the face.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 am 

What world would we live in if there were no weapons, and no government...?
I mean, why has we evolved around weapons...?

That is because weapon and dominance has always and will always be in our head... And that is because we always have had need for weapons, and governments, because
the instinct everyone (and every species) have is to protect yourself and your family Rolling Eyes

So, without all this, hmm... What society would we live in then...? Confused
And if there were "only" peace... It would come to an end, because as you all may know, some people becomes a little bit loco/crazy, or just not 100% there ( caused by that the cell copying will fail sometimes, like cancer for example...) , and if we had no weapons or governments to protect us? Then... There would there not be any living creatures on the Earth...

That's my meaning... xD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:54 am 

You should be aware that I am technical pacifist. Yet again... *cough*

Quote:
The fact this person is trying to browbeat you into sharing their opinion shows that they arent really that coinfident in their beliefs. If they were really confident in their beliefs they wouldnt need to argue the toss with you about how theyre right. Their stated position would be enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:19 pm 

[quote="Antankov"]You should be aware that I am technical pacifist. Yet again... *cough*

Youre entitled to your beliefs. I may not support your views but I defend your right to air them freely provided they are not offensive Very Happy