Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lifchik chestrig 2nd pattern, in Afghanistan?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 pm 

Comrades,

I am doing research to further my understanding of the limited Soviet contingent in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan. I see there is an array of chest rigs, from issued Soviet patterns, to several Chinese patterns, to a myriad of home-made load bearing chest rigs. I have read that "contrary to popular belief", the 2nd pattern Soviet lifchik did not serve in Afghanistan. But then I've also seen a picture of someone's 2nd pattern Lifchik and they claim it is dated 1988, another is 1987, and have read that there is a picture of an airborne trooper in Afghanistan wearing the 2nd pattern rig. Clearly there is some contradiction, and I want to find a solid answer.

Is there any information on the manufactorer of this vest? Perhaps they could give a timeline of production and issue.

I have heard of someone who has a picture of the chestrig in question. But hearing of it isn't enough; does anyone have such a picture? Be careful comrades, the 2nd pattern Lifchik has been used in many combat zones which could be confused with Afghanistan because of uniforms and terrain, for example, Chechen wars, ongoing Armenian-Azeri territorial conflict, and even unrest in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, et cetera.

I want to order the book "Soviet Uniforms and Militaria 1917-1991" by Laszlo Bekesi despite the poor online reviews I've read. If anyone posesses this book, does it mention the Lifchik 2 and perhaps give a date of issue?

Or, does anyone have conclusive evidence against the use of Lifchik 2nd pattern in Afghanistan?

Thank you in advance!

-Spike

"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

Post subject: Re: Lifchik chestrig 2nd pattern, in Afghanistan?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:53 pm 

I have a myriad books and a disc full of 200 photos of the Soviet-Afgan war so I will try and have a look in the next few days and see what I can find out. Im pretty sure it was in use at this time but ill find out for sure soon. As for the books by Laszlo Bekesi I have all three of them and I also know Laszlo personally (we met in London in February 2004) the books are very good and I highly recommend them! If youre interested ill sell you a copy of the photo disc for £5 shipped

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 pm 

The book reviews on Amazon.com do not speak well of his books, but I am willing to buy and see for myself. I'll pass on the disc, there is a copius amount of pictures available on militaryphotos.net which I have been shifting through for days and any more would probably kill me, haha. It's hard because any use of the Lifchik pattern 2 would have been in 1987 at the absolute possible earliest, and more likely in 1988 and 1989.

Vityaz, would it be possible for you to skim this book and see if there is any information on the issue date of Lifchik pattern 2?

For photo reference, here is the vest in question, and I believe I got this picture from the main Soviet Army Stuff website...

-Spike

"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:36 am 

I've got a few vests that are earlier model than this... One that uses buttons instead of the new newest Velcro, and the newer pin tabs, if you're interested in KLMK Green pattern that is in an old model set let me know, I've got a rig A + B combo I've been trying to get rid of for awhile, olive bottom and KLMK green top.

As for issued variants in Afghanistan, I've seen photos with the more common 'twist tab,' which are the ones that have the plastic piece that slips through the circular fabric U, you can see them on the canvas RD-54 packs. Aside from that I've also seen KZS 1 pattern chest rigs and even rigs painted in Alpenflage for Russian troops that are in the same era model. So these rigs can be confusing without looking at the date of manufacture on the back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:16 am 

The patterns went first the toggle and loop fastener, then the pin and strap and then the latest ones have velcro. Camouflage variants were not used in the Afgan war but came later. Ill have a flick in the book and see what I can find

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:09 am 

Are you sure? I've got a KZS net camouflage chest rig that would only make sense if it was used in the Afghanistan era considering the pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 am 

Taurus wrote:
Are you sure? I've got a KZS net camouflage chest rig that would only make sense if it was used in the Afghanistan era considering the pattern.

Pretty sure, I havent come across any photographic evidence as of this time, however KZS pattern was and is still widely used even today in many parts of the FSU and I saw extensive use of it when i was in Chechnya, both by federal forces and insurgents. KZS chest rigs were used in Chechnya, that much I do know for certain!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:24 pm 

Hmm, that's strange that they wouldn't manufacture chest rigs in camouflage patterns that were already in existence, you think this might be due to the economic crisis at the time?