Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Soviet Navy Winter Boots
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:29 am 

Years ago (+-20) I found a pair of boots at a military surplus in the Mojave desert of California. These boots were totally unique. They were made of 100% felt. The uppers were a black felt that was flexible, but retained it's shape well, similar to a felt hat. The soles were a much denser and thicker grey felt (they even may have been beaver/horse hair, but definitely a natural material like felt). There was no lining on the inside, and if I remember proper, the only thing inside was a basic insole that might have been a dense cardboard-like material, only thicker/durable.

The boots were half height, similar to basketball shoes, and they laced up with a black lace that had metal crimps on the ends (not plastic).

The most unique feature about them were the way they looked. They looked exactly like something you would have seen Popeye wearing in a cartoon (not to be confused with rubber "mickey mouse" boots). They were very cartoonish and almost costume/outlandish looking. Thats because they were super roomy inside, presumably for loads of wool socks.

I "think" they may have been WWII, or Korean era, but possibly more modern or even older.

The reason I am posting here is because the only reference I ever found to boots like these was in a russian crime novel (i think it was either Gorky Park, but probably Polar Star written by the same author), and the context was in reference to a scene where boots like these were being used on the deck of a Russian vessel in the frozen north seas. They were being used by a deck hand or something like that.

Finally, these might have been a very early river boot (felt soled), but I'm a fly fisher and collect old tackle and have never seen anything like those boots in that area. Not impossible though. They were also the most incredibly comfortable boots I have ever put on my feet, and I want another pair. I won't abuse new/n.o.s., or used ones if I am lucky enough to find them.

Any help/advise would be very much appreciated.

Cheers all,

Bill

Post subject: Re: Soviet Navy Winter Boots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 pm 

Judging by the description, I assume it is a pair of valenkis (Pelt boots) with a galoshes attached. Would it by any chance look like this?

Post subject: Re: Soviet Navy Winter Boots
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:19 am 

Valenki ftw Smile