Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thermal imager goggles.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm 

Anyone knows a place where one can get a pair of thermal imager goggles preferably brand new?

Post subject: Re: Thermal imager goggles.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 pm 

Ehhh... You sure you don't want to try night vision first? Thermal imaging I can get here in the U.S. for new but it either requires smuggling from the U.S. army or paying $16,000.00 USD for a mil-spec civilian stock set.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 pm 

Plus thermal imaging is not that great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:15 pm 

Well i was told it works wonders espectually during daylight games in the forested areas. Although feels kinda like cheating. And i can not exactly say i really trust my source so would welcome any input you can give me on this one guys. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:47 pm 

Well thermal has some limitations since if your target is using specific uniforms or equipment that will mask the body temperatures like NBC gear you won't see anything but a cold spot. Same thing with them hiding behind trees and so on. Night vision basically just illuminates the field of view making it easier to depict human silhouettes in the darkness.

What your sources might be hinting at is night vision thermal imaging, which makes human targets light up bright like a Christmas tree because of the material they are using for their equipment plus body temperatures, from what I can tell from photographs of it in use at least. This is, as far as I know, restricted only for military use...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 am 

Thermal imaging wouldnt be much use for a day or night game as it gives a very imprecise picture and about half of the people you shoot with turn out to be your team mates. What you could do however would be to get image intensifier goggles, and then get every man on your team to wear an IR lightstick for a quick IFF system. Nobody else will see the lightsticks but they will glow brightly through the goggles. There is an ebay seller called moscowphoto who has image intensifier kit, for a pair of goggles youre probably looking around £250 shipped or so. You couldnt really use an image intensifier during the day however - They work by simply amplifying available light (EG moonlight, starlight etc) and in the event that there isnt light available they usually would have an IR illuminator. The drawbacks to Image intensifiers are that you get a glow from the sighting lens, and also the whine as it starts up, and if youre using the IR illuminator the red glow from it (albeit very low intensity) can give you away

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:23 pm 

That's a good idea actually... You could also feasibly cut off some of those black squares on the U.S. uniforms that flash when night vision is used so that we can identify our troops on the ground during night operations, and sew them onto your uniforms and use that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:04 am 

Taurus wrote:
That's a good idea actually... You could also feasibly cut off some of those black squares on the U.S. uniforms that flash when night vision is used so that we can identify our troops on the ground during night operations, and sew them onto your uniforms and use that as well.

Getting hold of them is the difficult part, theyre supposed to be restricted

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:29 pm 

Oh in the U.K.? Hmm.. They went through German customs OK... >.>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:49 am 

Taurus wrote:
Oh in the U.K.? Hmm.. They went through German customs OK... >.>

No, id been told that the US government restricted sale of the IR panels for uniforms. I did see one on ebay but it had come back from Iraq in somebodys kit bag and he didnt even know what it was for!