Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MASKA/Altyn/K6-3 helmet replica?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 am 

Hi Comrades,

I want to know if this replica design is based on helmets like the MASKA/K6-3 shape or if it is just a cheap old motorcycle helmet painted green. I attached the pictures below. If it is just a old vintage motorcycle helmet painted green, then it's no use!

Attachments:
File comment: front view
helmet2.jpg
helmet2.jpg [ 219.7 KB | Viewed 4147 times ]
File comment: side view
helmet1.jpg
helmet1.jpg [ 231.59 KB | Viewed 4044 times ]

Post subject: Re: MASKA/Altyn/K6-3 helmet replica?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:13 am 

Looks like a Motorcycle helmet just painted up to my eyes (From just surfing around google)

The Maska helmets and whatnot seam to lack that row of Screws along the top (And If they did have a row, it would be rivets most likely) also it lacks the bits on the side for mounting the front shield
Also, the chin strap looks very, Un-Military like.

The General shape of the helmet seams to fit that of the Proper helmets in question, but anyone thats knows half of his stuff would know its just a painted up Motorcycle helment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:53 pm 

It is a motorcycle helmet. The first chin strap is the original one from the helmets from the 60's and 70's, then they used another chin strap from the motorcycle helmets from the 80's (The grayish one), looks like the helmet itself is the 60's/70's model with the visor taken off and the mounts used to look like the screws that hold the visor in place even though in reality there were only two (one for the up and one for the down position). That's another thing, you're lacking the visor as well as the visor mount holes on the sides and the three pieces of metal on the top and both sides to hold the visor in the up or down position correctly. Plus, I might add, that the motorcycle helmets for the USSR were all plastic, nothing was metal. Looks like he repainted it with the traditional olive drab color. If anything it looks more like a weird as hell Zsh-1-2 helmet...

If you want a better real life example, go to the gallery and see my post there, I have an authentic one on display.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:41 am 

Here is a photo of my motorcycle helmet that your replica is made out of, you can see the chin strap is exactly the same;

And here is my MASKA, what it should look like;

And here is the K6-3, what it looks like;

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:51 pm 

That's an awesome MASKA you got there. Well, I found this "motorMASKA" (lol) on eBay. It is still an active auction and starting at $100!

Thanks so much for your explanations and pictures too. See, I really wanted to buy the helmet cos I thought it looked like a real MASKA and I was going to buy it even if it was made of plastic. Then, I found he also sold this yellow helmet and it made me think the green one was just a repainted motorcycle helmet. And like you said, the mounts were removed and replaced with screws.

You guys are amazing...I would never have noticed the chin-strap. You saved me $100 I can use for getting a real MASKA replica later.

Attachments:
File comment: vintage helmet
helmet3.jpg
helmet3.jpg [ 27.39 KB | Viewed 3922 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 am 

There is a seller on eBay that sells K6-3 and Altyn helmet replicas with working coms if you'd rather have one of those. $300.00 USD a piece I think, really good condition without paying the price for the real deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:12 pm 

Nice, I was able to find that seller on ebay and I really would like to have one of his helmets. But I don't have the "financial power" to buy it now...not for atleast 3 weeks. However, I guess I just want something out of looks. A simple ZSH-1 helmet. I attached some pictures of the exact look I am really loving to have on my head.

I also found a link to another website in Russia that is selling an exact ZSH-1 helmet replica. I can post link if I am allowed to as I am unsure of links rules (except to not post them!). They have exactly what I am looking for for $151+shipping. I would love to be allowed to post link so you can personally check for me Taurus...I would really appreciate it!

Attachments:
File comment: ZSH helmet
ZSH.jpg
ZSH.jpg [ 143.13 KB | Viewed 3812 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:48 pm 

Yeah go ahead and send it to my in a PM and I'll ask around. There are a few people on RA that have purchased Zsh-1-2 helmet replicas so there must be places to get them, very few I would assume as well.