Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My idea for my fall deer huntering gear
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:45 pm 

This is my kit plan for hunting this fall:

SVD Dragunov sniper rifle (need to buy) or M59/60 SKS rifle (already have)
Bi-pod (need)
Combat boots (need)
K-bar (have)
Russian Army Spetsnaz Tactical Combat Leather Gloves (need)
Balaclava
Some kind of ghillie suit-Soviet/Russian. Maybe the kind in the game Battlefield Bad Company/ COD MW 2. The one on this site doesn't fit my taste. If you don't have the games, here is a good video showing one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRd6DfDkIiU

At 3:41

My question I have is the SVD to much to take down a deer? Last time I went, I used the SKS and it was pretty good.

My videos from exploring old, abandoned buildings. Comments are always welcomed.

Post subject: Re: My idea for my fall deer huntering gear
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm 

SVD or SKS will do fine, hollow-point rounds are best

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:54 am 

To be honest with you I wouldn't by these cheap gillie suits you will find like here in the US. A lot of them aren't mil-spec at all, they are usually made by civilian contractors and cannot use military copyrighted colors and patterns that have the full effectiveness. So on the field you will find that your environmental camouflage that you normally would twill inside your suit, such as leaves and other things, will fall out. Even the suit itself can start coming apart due to the low quality of stitching for the threads that hang off the suit.

Your best bet would be to get either a Leshy suit from here, which would work incredibly in a hunting environment. Or make your own suit by hand using the starter material that most suppliers provide, that way you know you have good quality stuff.

As for your rifles, both SVD and SKS use similar caliber of rounds that are both applicable to hunting. The SVD uses the 7.62x54mmR that was also used by the Mosin Nagant in WWII, it's a slightly larger round and has more penetrating power than the regular 7.62x39mm that the AK and SKS uses. That being said, the only other difference with the two rifles is that the SVD has a better flatness, which means the bullet flies faster and more accurately. But this also means it is less useful in shorter ranges which would be better for the SKS in terms of hunting. So really it depends on your hunting environment. But the SVD is the perfect rifle for a good hunting job, plus the scope is a big help considering it's a high end model that is attached to all rifles.

The rest sounds pretty good as it is though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 am 

If you're used to the SKS, I don't find any real reason why you should replace it. You might be able to take shots at longer distances without any corrections with the SVD, because of the larger caliber and quality of the barrel (It was produced for Designated Marksman Purposes). For the Bipod, I use a Fab Defence TPOD on my M16 (If you want to see the photo, it's in the Gallery section, it's titled "Upgraded M16"). It is pretty stable and versatile too (A bipod and forward grip in one), however, I would guess that you would need to use an adapter to be able to use it on your SKS. Since it uses a Picatinny Rail as it's interface.

As for the Ghille Suit, I would go with Taurus' suggestion, since unfortunately I have very limited knowledge in the field of Ghille Suit's

Your Kit seems good to go for me! Good luck and have fun hunting comrade! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:10 am 

If you don't want a bipod that needs an adapter you can always use the AK-47 bipods that clip onto the barrel, they are very cheap and fit any Russian rifle from what I can tell. If you are in the US I can find you a cheap supplier if you want one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 am 

For the ghillie suit you can always make your own with an old combat jacket, some old vehicle cam net and scrimnet and some fishing line

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 pm 

Back in freshmen year of High School (wayyyy back in the day), my buddy made a home made ghillie suit for airsoft out of a old NATO pattern jacket and pants and some ripped and torn black, khaki, and dark green shirts and clipped them together with safety pins. It was very very cool.

I was talking to a couple people at a few gun shops saying that SVDs are hard to find and when you do find them, they cost $800+. I think the SKS might be the best for now. The bi-pod would be cool to have.

I agree about buying civilian suits. They don't have the right feel when it comes to hiding. Here in the U.S, many of the non-military camo for hunting is the 'red neck' leaf camo which is basically brown and tan leaves, sometimes with a back round of a tree trunk. Plus, I would like to make this kit my 1st/2nd full Soviet/Russian kit. If it can work in the military, it can work facing some deer. By law, I do have to have some orange on so if I can pull it off, maybe have a orange arm band on my arm.

My videos from exploring old, abandoned buildings. Comments are always welcomed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 am 

An SVD costs way more here in our country, but maybe because it is really really scarce. I told my Dad to get a Galil, since it's basically an AK, but fires NATO Ammo, which is easily found here.

I would like to make a Ghille Suit as well, guys if you have done this before, can you give me any tips? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:37 pm 

Many states require a deer hunter to wear blaze orange during firearms deer season. A ghillie suit may be illegal, and isn't really necessary as much as keeping movement and scent to a minimum. A fidgety person in a ghillie suit will spook more deer than a guy who can sit still in most any type of outerwear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:08 pm 

bowfin wrote:
Many states require a deer hunter to wear blaze orange during firearms deer season. A ghillie suit may be illegal, and isn't really necessary as much as keeping movement and scent to a minimum. A fidgety person in a ghillie suit will spook more deer than a guy who can sit still in most any type of outerwear.

Well, a ghillie might just get you shot during hunting. In Norway we have tons of accidents with trigger-happy hunters and people in camo.