Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Religion and spirituality
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 pm 

May be touching on a sensitive subject here with some, but hey

Ive been a practising Orthodox Christian for nearly 11 years, but recently have decided that christianity is not the path for me. I now follow asatru which is the Norse Pagan religion

My reasons for this are numerous but mainly negative experiences with overly moralistic christians who dont follow christian values such as charity, loving thy neighbour, forgiveness and not making money your god, and research I have carried out which shows in general forcible conversion from pagan religions to christianity

Thoughts and feelings welcome provided theyre not suggestions I should be burned at the stake for heresy (which ive already had this week)

Post subject: Re: Religion and spirituality
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm 

I'm like a Buddhist, I don't care whatever you believe in, as long as you believe in something (Impossible not to believe in nothing xD)
I've seen the same things as you in Christianity, and it is a little bit tragic, it is indeed...

Something funny about this incident is that I know a lot within Norrøn Mytologi, as it is named here in Norway.
Myself, I think it is very interesting, we learned a lot about in ground school, and I remember everything!

The "religion" itself is very huge not by number of people that follows it, but that it contains a lot histories, tales and a lot of epic, detailed explanations of how the world of the gods is.
Christianity here in Norway is just getting more faker... I see people everyday that just gets confirmated 100% just for the money.

There is also only just people over 63 years and only me and a couple of my friends in the local church...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 am 

Remember comrades, there is a difference between in being a Christian and thinking that you are a Christian. Da, our religion (Not counting the divisions) may be hypocritical at times but it's not the idea itself. Of course if this is what you choose I do not have the rights to tell you that you're wrong. After all, free will and such.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:29 pm 

Indeed

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 pm 

Although I live in a Roman Catholic country, and an avid parishioner myself. I have many friends that practice different religions, which are Islam, Buddhism, Atheists and other sects of Catholicism. I believe in accepting and respecting what other people believe, after all intolerance have caused many heinous crimes to be committed in the name of God, religion and even personal reasons. Terrorism, war, Inquisitions committed by the Catholic Church against non believers, Crusades, Jihads and many other terrible events fall into this.

Religion does not also affect my judgement of people, as I have many Christian friends with bad aspects of their personality that is comparable to my Muslim friends, and of course the opposite is also true. I do not use logic like saying that this man is a terrorist and might suicide bomb at any moment because he is Muslim ( I have heard one person in a mall whisper this in Filipino when he saw a couple of Muslim guys coming in from the entrance), or this girl possesses bad morals because she is an atheists. After all, we are all just human and we all have one or two flaws. Because of this, I judge people on a personal, case to case basis. This have not failed me once yet, as all my friends are wonderful. I know I am young, and this might change as I will encounter mean people. Although now, I have a strong belief that such experiences will not dissuade me from continuing my beliefs.

I respect your decision Vityaz, after all you are the one who knows yourself and what you should believe best. And just because you have changed religions, does not mean you are no longer my friend. You are still an awesome person that have undergone lots of experience, and I am exalted that I have met you and the other great people in this forum in my lifetime!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:46 am 

Thanks guys. What you said is correct Gafrin, there are people here where I live who are extreme christians who would happily see me burned at the stake for practising a pagan religion which they see as akin to devil worship!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:18 pm 

While I'm fine with whatever faith you choose to believe, it does prompt me to ask this; Why Asatru of all choices?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 pm 

Antankov wrote:
While I'm fine with whatever faith you choose to believe, it does prompt me to ask this; Why Asatru of all choices?

Ive been studying it for a while and basically I think its the path for me to follow

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:27 am 

I congratulate you Vityaz. You thought for yourself and didn't let others tell you otherwise. I use to practice Norse Paganism myself, however, I find it personally hard to believe in God/gods. I'm currently an Agnostic/Athiest with morals founded upon Paganism.

ада Обратный звонок тех, кто видит его

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 pm 

killbob234 wrote:
I congratulate you Vityaz. You thought for yourself and didn't let others tell you otherwise. I use to practice Norse Paganism myself, however, I find it personally hard to believe in God/gods. I'm currently an Agnostic/Athiest with morals founded upon Paganism.

Each to their own, as long as its what you want to do then its OK by me. Ive seen too many cases of religious indoctrination stemming from the parents and children who wish to follow a different path but are scared to do so because their parents will disown them. In my view a religion that you follow because of fear of ostracism is probably wrong for you