Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Red Dawn
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:47 am 

Found this interesting picture the other day. Its a photo of a deleted scene from the movie 'Red Dawn'. The scene had some kind of occurrence in a McDonalds restaurant and was possibly cut from the film because a few weeks before its release a madman called James Huberty walked into the McDonalds in San Ysidro, California and shot a whole load of people. Its a good film though and most of the uniforms and hardware are pretty accurate. One of the tanks used was so accurate that it was followed to the studio by the CIA who demanded to know where it had come from!!!

Attachments:
RedDawn(McDonalds).gif
RedDawn(McDonalds).gif [ 45.42 KB | Viewed 4544 times ]

Post subject: Re: Red Dawn
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:53 am 

I've seen this movie many times. It's a great piece of work. It was about the co-invasion of the US by soviet and cuban forces (the main villian seemed to be of the cuban forces), and the resistence of a couple of highschool students from a small town whom were known to the soviets as Wolverines. i believe that the movie-klmk was sold off to surplus stores thus being available to the public, and i've seen one member on the site wearing it.

if you liked Red Dawn you should play the ps2/xbox/pc? game Freedom Fighters.
it's heavily influenced by Red Dawn. It's about the Soviet invasion of New York.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:12 am 

many hippies who think of red dawn just think it was American propaganda against the CCCP, yet such people only heard about the movie, but didn't actually see it. The movie while being a fictional (not science fictional, but not very probable to really happen either; at least not in the 80s!) did show the true nature of warfare; lined up executions of civilians, conscripts who were captured and executed by rebels(soviet POW), betrayal (not necessarily out of spite, but because of coercion and fear). It wasn't totally real, but it wasn't mcarthy-like propaganda either...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:49 am 

I know. Some people view any film as propaganda! The KLMK used in the film wasnt the true Soviet pattern though, it was a lookalike made just for the film. Some surplus shop tried to sell me a KLMK for £70 by saying it was a Soviet issue and it was used in Red Dawn. I told the guy that the issue KLMK was never used in Red Dawn and it was a special outfit made in America. Then he said if I wanted it I could have it for £20. I told him to stick it in his ass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Smile))))) Laughing

By the way I have seen it quite a lot of times when Russians depicted very dangerous in US movies.
Most of times half-drunk, with beard and in ushanka hat with 1 ear-flap down Smile))))

Eveybody here find it very funny Smile

Though probably we are like that indeed... crazy Russians... Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 am 

I used to look at some of these films made in USA and UK that show Russian soldier in a very bad light. Enemy at the gates caused a lot of controversy amongst GPW veterans in Russia and FSU for the inaccuracies shown that went a little beyond 'artistic licence'. The one thing I liked about this film was that it was about ww2 and it didnt in any way try and say the Americans won it all by themselves! Then you have films like Rambo III showing the Soviet Army in Afganistan as a brutalist invading army who savaged children and villages without mentioning that the Soviet Army went into Afganistan at the request of the government of the day (much the same as USA went into South Vietnam and South Korea) but the final insult was possibly that the Soviet army does not use Aerospatiale Puma helicopters as shown in the film!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:22 pm 

I thought the movie was good (Enemy At the Gates). This front was the site of the fiercest battles of WW2. another good one is 'the Beast' which was about a tank crew in afghanistan facing muj. It was a tad bit anti-soviet, but it did show how crazy the muj were, and how not all of them were from the same stock, just as it did with the soviet crew.

Rambo 3 was heavily inaccurate, and just populist bullshit. They portray all muj as victims... yea until the most fundamentalist of them made afghanistan a backwards country.

I wonder what you all thought about 'house of fools' movie. a bit too kind to chechens if you ask me, but it's not as bad as rambo 3... haha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:05 pm 

I havent seen house of fools im afraid. Ive got the beast here. Has anyone seen '100 days before the command'? it was made during the last days of the Soviet Union and the DVD case made it look really interesting saying how it showed the training and military life of the last batch of conscripts into the Red Army. What a load of crap it was. the phrase 'art-house crap' sprung to mind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 pm 

Over here in In the land of kangaroos and beer Russians are seen as dangerous, i sort of hate it as the Soviet soldiers do not deserve allot of the shit thats flung their way.
Just attempting to explain to people in Australia that the Soviets where in Afghanistan as request of the legal government is impossible, and that Soviet soldiers like any soldier of the west, was not evil, just doing their job like any other soldier.

Last edited by Toje on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:23 am 

I love the movie Enemy At The Gates; especially, as you said Vityaz, it doesn't "try and say the Americans won it all by themselves!" At school in Canada we learn nothing of the Soviet effort in world war 2. But i have a book called "The Military Atlas of World War II" and in the back it has a casualties of war page and it shows the Soviet Union having 21 million dead which is about the same as every other country added together, according to this page. I think most people in north america probably don't know this is the case because at school they don't tell us about it. So it makes me angry that no credit is given to the Soviets for defeating Germany, when it seems to me that they did most of the work!

Anyway back to movies; i am wondering what kind of inaccuracies there are in Enemy At The Gates? I haven't seen any other war movies focused on the Soviets so i'm not able to see inaccuracies for myself. Crying or Very sad