Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rubber/Latex PMG Gas Mask Review
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:45 am 

This is in regards to the PMG Rubber/Latex Gas Mask that is featured this site:
http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/Product_ ... k_PMG.html

First, this mask is probably one of the huge leaps in gas mask design coming from the previous Russian tech which normally is revolved around your basic GP-5 and so forth.

The mask itself comes pearl white and feels more of latex than rubber, which makes for a more comfortable and snug fit, it also prevents sticking when affixing it to your head. The material is also very durable, and resists scuffing and staining quite well for its design and material makeup.

The filter is attached to the left side and uses 40mm thread like all other Russian masks and NATO masks, only this position allows shoulder mounted weapons to be used more efficiently and allows the filter to be less of a burden to the users. The filter also came with a dust cover and is mainly used for preserving the integrity of the filter, but can also be used to protect it in combat as long as you properly dislodge the cork while it is in use.

The voice amp works very well for its early design; you can be heard at a good distance of 8-10 feet when used correctly while your companion is also wearing the same or similar mask. It is fairly basic and distorts your voice a bit, but not to where you will not be understood clearly. It is of a stainless steel metal material and is also very durable against the elements of any environment; it makes for a very useful addition to the mask.

The lenses are the common circular type seen in many masks, but they are smaller than the GP-5. The small size is not a disadvantage since the mask is closer to your face and allows a greater field of vision than it normally would with such sized lenses. These lenses are also somewhat, 'submerged,' in the mask, so that they are more protected than ones you see on the GP-5 and other later models, which makes a huge difference in making the longevity of the mask that much greater than the rest.

The harness type is a bit of a hybrid between an open back mask and a skull cap type mask. The adjustment strap on the top works well if you have short hair, but long hair tends to get matted around the strap and becomes somewhat painful when an attempt is made to adjust the mask with hair being pressed against it. The back of the mask near the lower neck also has a strap that keeps the mask secure and more comfortable to the user, it is adjustable and makes as a very necessary add-on when reducing the weight of the mask from the front of the face and adjusting some to the back for a more even rest. The mask itself fits very comfortably and has no performance issues when fully adjusted and affixed properly to the head and face.

In conclusion, I have to say I am very impressed with this model; it far exceeds expectations and has little to no faults depending on your hair length. It operates perfectly in typical use and will make an excellent addition to anyone’s collection, or to anyone’s need for NBC protection!

The PMG Gas Mask gets a: 9.5/10

Last edited by Taurus on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total

Post subject: Re: Rubber/Latex PMG Gas Mask Review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:05 pm 

Your review was a big help when shopping around for gas masks. So far I have the PMG, GP-5, and the GP-7vm.

I agree with your review of the PMG mask completely and so far its the mask I'm most satisfied with using. A few additional notes: the airflow design forces incoming air to the inside of the of the lenses, which helps reduce fogging. This is the only mask (including my standard issue M40 mask) that I've never had fog up completely.
I wear Rx glasses so finding a mask that facilitates inserts are hard to find. I still have the inserts from the American M40 mask and found that they fit quite well in the PMG mask. Granted, extra padding had to be applied because the mask is alot closer to your face than other masks, but otherwise it works very well.

I'm interested in the mask's (including the GP-5 and GP-7vm) history and service record with the Soviet Military. All I could gather is that it is a military issued mask from around the 1970's. I'm trying to find out additional information: How long was it used for? What kind of units was it issued to? Any photographs of it used in action? etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:27 pm 

GP-5 was civil use only, it was never issued to the Soviet Motorized Rifles.

There is another model that looks almost exactly the same; however, it was called the SChM or something like that, and had a hose that hooked to a large filter slung over the shoulder in a haversack. The nose was a bit more 'rigid,' is how most people find the differences between the two.

As for the GP-7VM and PMK model masks, they are still in use today most iconically by TsSN Alfa Group teams during training and combat operations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 pm 

I've read in another review that this particular gas mask makes it easier for people with glasses to use. Is that correct?

It looks as if the part around the eyes is pushed out just enough for allow the comfortable wearing of glasses under the mask.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:31 pm 

Sadly not that I remember. I'm trying to get the lenses changed on some old gas mask glasses (small, bendable rounded glasses) so that I can use them in some gas masks but I would say traditional glasses would not work very well at all...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:23 am 

Well, I totally agree with you that masks are very useful. Cool