Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GP-5 Gas Mask White/Black
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:43 am 

This is a product review in regards to the ever popular, GP-5 Gas Mask:
http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/Product_ ... _Mask.html

First off, let me address some concerns that have been circulating about this model in particular; there have been some sights sponsored in the U.S. by third party organizations that represent companies such as MSA and other gas mask providers, that have been stating the hazards of using old Russian model gas masks such as the GP-5 and so forth, due to its age and lack of NBC protection. I acknowledge the existence of these claims, and is why I extensively tested this mask in different cases of use which I will explain in the first half of my review;

In order to successfully emulate a possible attack, I first set a fire in my fireplace and allowed smoke and ash along with other airborne debris to circulate in the enclosed shelter, I did this by stirring up ash and crushed leaves in the bottom to mix in the smoke of the fire. Afterward, I inserted my entire head wearing the GP-5 gas mask inside the fireplace and closed the metal chain skirts to prevent embers from falling outside of the test environment and potentially setting myself aflame. Also, make note that this was in a controlled environment, and that there was a burning fire inside this environment while the testing was preceding, which emitted a rough temperature of about 140 degrees F. While inside, I began to inhale deeply, both with my nose and with my mouth, and could not sense the taste of any ash or smoke inside the mask during the test which lasted roughly 5 minutes in total. While inside, I became increasingly closer to the flames with my mask on, I felt a little heat starting to brew around, but hardly anything that would be represented without wearing the mask, the lenses started to heat up quite well, but retained their integrity throughout the test. Once I removed my head from the mask, I checked my seal once again and felt a snug squeeze around my face noting that the seal was still proper, I then removed the mask and barely smelt some smoke on the gas mask, but nothing else around me, and I thereafter deemed the test successful. Although it would be difficult for me to say whether or not this mask would be suitable for NBC protection depending on the type of threat and the environment it creates. On another note: the Aspestos claim has been defunked by various individuals on forums and on online videos where they have taken apart the mask and evaluated the insides. All that was found was activated carbon pellets and cotton/paper filter disks.

Now, onto the part of the review in which I will discuss the details of the mask and grade them accordingly;

The mask itself is the usual skull cap design commonly seen in most Russian masks, it is of white latex (or black rubber, depending on which model you find), and holds a good seal and is quite comfortable to wear in general. The air filtration system uses the typical 40mm filters that you will receive with any other gas mask you order, and allows fresh air to circulate through the two opened ports near both nostrils, and an exhale port at the bottom close to where the filter is. The mask has typical circular lenses that are resistant to scuffing and scraping, but I would not recommend wearing this to protect against 6mm plastic BB's and metal .177 caliber BB's.

Aside from their integrity, the lenses do have a potential issue with fogging due to deep breaths taken through the mouth which cause hot air to rise and circulate around the lenses, which cause the lenses to fog halfway until deep inhales through the mouth, and light exhales through the nose are taken to counteract this occurrence.

There's not a whole lot more to say about this mask, since it's simplicity is quite apparent with this model in particular, therefore it will prove easy for most inexperienced users to properly use, which is a good idea to buy one for training purposes and non-military based operations, but it does prove well in situations of airsoft based combat, as the filter typically does not give too much interference with aiming and using quick footwork to evade enemy fire. There may be a few issues with it swaying back and forth due to the 'Aardvark' snout, but aside from that, it's a pretty decent mask all around.

So in conclusion, the GP-5 White Latex/Black Rubber gas mask, gets a 7.5/10. (Only because better, more efficient models are present.)

Last edited by Taurus on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total

Post subject: Re: GP-5 Gas Mask White/Black
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 am 

Are you saying your test is relavent to NBC agents?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:11 am 

Negative, obviously not, I'm just showing the relevance of this mask in its own usage scenario, I wouldn't recommend the GP-5 for anything other than a respirator for airsoft purposes where smoke grenades and other airborne debris would be found, which I indicated in the review when I discussed its uses during an airsoft skirmish between me and another individual during these tests.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 pm 

Had me worried for a second...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:47 pm 

Nah, I have no way of testing these in an NBC environment, nor would I honestly unless I was using my M40A1. Vlad and Vityaz can tell customers on the details of the masks themselves, there are photos of the GP-5 being used in the Chernobyl CPP so they must have some sort of use in that type of environment, but I wouldn't speculate so far as to say that the protection level would be high enough to keep you alive in any environment like that, not even the US masks could prevent radiation sickness from the emitting gamma radiation in the power plant. So I let them talk about the NBC ratings. I just stick to the typical more common hazards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 pm 

my own to cents:
to start, im not nbc qualifyed in any way, shape, or form. i have no real training in the use or operation of gasmasks, filters, resperators, etc.

ive got 3 of the black rubber Gp-5 masks, orginally i aquired them for a costume (they are the closest thing to the pyros mask for Teamfortress 2).
I wore mine, WITHOUT filter, in summer weather in Atlanta, off and on over the course of a day.
So long as i remeber to stop and air out/rehydrate every so often it was ok, but after any sort of jogging/etc, it quickly became a wearable Oven,
by the end, my head/neck area was drenched.

Now, i do know these masks really are designed for Very long term use, but in an airsoft game if you are relying on them for your eye protection the LAST thing you want to do is take it off for a breather in the middle of a game (oops your eye just got shot out, sorry)

one thing ive considered for strenous game/costume use, is to hollow up a spare filter, and install fan, to help force air around better (perhaps also remove the airflow gaskets/seals,to allow a more contious flow of said air)

yes, at that point the mask is purely for cosmetic/dramatic effect, but it should allow it to be a bit more comfertable for extended wear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 pm 

Yes, that is very true, you should always have a spare set of facial protection if you are using a gas mask in airsoft. These lenses seem to have good integrity, but masks such as the British SF-10 have these flash proof lenses that will shatter against 350 FPS, so you really have to figure out what you will be using in an airsoft game that will keep you safe from harm before taking off on it, so be sure to test your lenses before then.

As for the heat, the PMG is worse about that in my personal opinion, the black rubber and white latex GP-5 are a little less extreme, but I agree they can become cumbersome after prolonged use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 am 

I remember what Vityaz recommended me a while back, put an airsoft goggles in front of the gas mask lens. Worked pretty well to in some games I played. I ditched wearing gas masks in airsoft games a while back though, too hot for a tropical climate! Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:15 pm 

Just adding on, because this model mask does not have a voice emitter it is not well suited for tactical (real or simulated) operations. Without it, it is very difficult to talk to others even in close proximity. Obviously this mask was made for civil use and not military. If anyone is going for a mask to wear for airsoft or any other kind of tactical training, I'd skip the GP-5 and go with something with a voice emitter.