Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sfera helmet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:52 pm 

dont forget also a helmet can distort your hearing. And forget any tips you get about covering your helmet with foliage because odds are that the minute you have it full of the correct foliage for the area you are in you will have to move into a different area with adversely different foliage EG you fill the net and scrim with green leaves and then have to cross a cornfield. Just stick with a camouflage cover to dull the shine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:37 am 

I actually broke down and bought one of these from good ol' Vlad, he talked me into it. The problem I had was with the bastards at customs refusing to release it once we paid for everything. He eventually had to bribe the customs officer, and about three weeks later, after a full refund, I got the helmet... It would have been nice if I hadn't already bought another one before it, but the one I did buy was extremely old, nothing compared to the quality Soviet Army Stuff provides. Also, I did feel bad acquiring the helmet for free, but I also didn't feel bad about not having to pay another $50.00 USD sending it back... Haha.

But as for the review, I primarily use this with my FLORA camo Spetsnaz suit, with Taiga pattern Balaclava, some Spetsnaz leather padded gloves, combat boots, a FLORA combat vest, the usual USSR insignia leather belt, and bulk it up with about 4 AK mags and strap on my 47. It fits extremely well with my outfit, and the other pattern covers are just as great and go with any one of your uniforms. Multi-purpose, at it's finest.

As for the helmet itself, it probably would stop 9mm rounds shot at about the usual 1400 FPS, I can see it stopping .45 slugs also... But anything over that, such as a rifle, forget about it, Titanium isn't that strong... But it's nice to have for airsoft or typical low threat level targets in terms of a tactical stand point.

The helmet isn't really that heavy to be honest... It wears you down after awhile yeah, but you can suck it up and easily take it on with you for longer than the specified 2 hours, but that's just me.

As for hearing, it does influence it a little bit, but the nit cap prevents too much interference, it pretty much sounds the same just a tad bit duller.

The chin strap is very comfortable, unlike the older model I have, it has a plastic cup harness that leaves scuff marks if you knock it around a bit.

The size however... Does look a bit strange, it tends to stick up quite a bit, like an Ushanka almost, but not purposeful, so it sorta looks strange without your gear on.

The size of the cap, don't really worry about that, it stretches out quite a bit and should bit anywhere between an XSmall to an XLarge no problem, 2XLarge and above, might want to make custom adjustments to it before slipping it on.

Overall if you can get a chance to grab one, feel free to do it... But make sure you know what your buying, because as I said before, Soviet Army Stuff has the better quality no doubt.

On a side note... Have any of you seen those Afghanistan body armor kits like the 6B and up that sometimes springs up on eBay? I saw one that only had its Kevlar sheets in it, and it cost $450.00! That's without the plates... He said with plates, he would charge me $900.00... Ridiculous, I'd just make my own steel plates if it was that expensive. If Soviet Army Stuff finds any and want to market it at a decent price... I'd gladly look forward to shaking the hand of business once again. But anyways, that's my review for the helmet, feel free to post any feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:02 am 

Glad you got the helmet through customs, guess there are assholes in post offices all over the world. I'm actually thinking whether to get this or a PASGT helmet. Which one do you think I should get guys?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:09 am 

Well it depends on what threat level you wish to defeat... The SFERA I would say is about Level II Protection, a very well rounded level. The PASGT has been cassified as Level IIA, which is 9mm and below, but it is cost effecient and adaptable, it's also very lightwieght I might add. But the best so far is the American MICH-2000, it's slightly cheaper than the SFERA, but it rarely pops up on eBay... Most of them go for over $200.00 USD at most, but it's Level IIIA and works very well at defeating rifle rounds. So honestly, if you want good protection at a cheap price, PASGT. Max protection with a hole in your pocket, MICH-2000. Or, great protection, with a nice adaptable look, SFERA. They all have their benefits. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:17 am 

Thanks for the advice Taurus, I may opt to get the PASGT, but I am getting more inclined to save up for the Sfera for it's pure "badass" look.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:10 pm 

Bump, small question; is this the real deal or a replica?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:57 am 

Real titanium. There are no replicas of this helmet as of yet, and if there was they would just be floppy knit caps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:13 am 
Site Admin

I think we can get sphere helmets without armor plates, so you can insert plastic or cartboard there. (price would be much lower of course).
Do you think it would be a good selling product? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:23 am 

SovietArmyStuff.com wrote:
I think we can get sphere helmets without armor plates, so you can insert plastic or cartboard there. (price would be much lower of course).
Do you think it would be a good selling product? Smile

If you can get the Russian ones that are made with the Green nylon fabric they would sell like hotcakes for Chechen War impressions. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:58 pm 

Interesting, with some nice VSR covers maybe? (although those can be home-made)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next