Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Russia's chic new uniform sends soldiers to hospital
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:35 pm 

Read this on another site:

MOSCOW:, Russia’s sharp new military uniforms, created by a top fashion designer, have landed hundreds in hospital after proving too thin to withstand ferocious winter cold, a state daily said Wednesday.

Rossiyskaya Gazeta reported that between 60 and 250 servicemen have been laid up with everything from flu to pneumonia as Arctic chills sweep through the country’s northern reaches.

“They literally felt naked outside,” the paper quoted the mother of one solider as saying. “Many of them ended up in hospital. Ours developed pneumonia,” she said of her son.

The government daily said defence officials have admitted not receiving complaints about the uniforms in time to do anything ahead of the winter season.

“It seems that all this happened because of slovenliness on our part,” Joint Staff General Nikolai Makarov told the daily.

Introduced in 2008, the parade uniforms designed by fashion celebrity Valentin Yudashkin are threaded with gold and more shapely and chic, in a throwback to the uniforms of the imperial Tsarist army.

The field versions, meanwhile, are lighter and come with thinner but more mobile boots.

Russia designed its first post-Soviet uniform in the 1990s, but it was unpopular with officers who complained that it made them look like they were serving in a Third World army. -- AFP

Post subject: Re: Russia's chic new uniform sends soldiers to hospital
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:22 am 

Oh dear. Back to the Afganka then boys!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:38 am 

Hahaha! Oh no, a bit of a stuff up their! Poor guys stuck in Hospitals

But what uniform is it talking about? it says "parade uniform", so Is this a version of the digital Flora?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:26 am 

Nah parade uniform is like the wool trench coats they wore.

I've actually seen the Digital FLORA winter suits... They have a liner that looks like it was made in the U.S., cheapy looking water proof nylon fabric and some sort of synthetic stuffing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:49 pm 

I can understand Officers wanting gaudier looking unifrms to boast their rank, but why change the enlisted man's uniforms when they have been proven to be effective for decades now?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:38 pm 

They want to look more modern and a little bit more aligned with the allies in other countries I assume, particularly the U.S.A. And don't get me wrong, the initial idea was brilliant, the Digital FLORA may not look appealing, but vs night vision goggles it renders the fabric almost invisible, it doesn't illuminate like regular FLORA does.

But I fear that the summer uniforms looked too great, and so they just threw out a winter uniform idea with no consideration on the internal materials. If they had the same cotton/wool liner with collars like the Soviet and early Rus Fed uniforms did, there would be no issues what-so-ever with cold penetration, but the Digi FLORA fabric is simply too light and thin to repel wind and extreme temperatures...

Lets just hope they don't stray away from Ushanka's being issued... Any additional body heat lost from the fault of a uniform would be fatal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:29 pm 

This is what happens when you let Fashion Designers make uniforms, instead of having the soldiers design one themselves according to their experience. In this case, the uniform looks pretty but is quite useless functionally, as it doesn't even do it's intended purpose! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:51 pm 

Just a few days ago the designer claimed that he has nothing to do with the uniform. He said that the current version of the uniform has nothing to do with the design he proposed in 2007. Well pictures in the article do look very different to current uniform yet still not very hetrosexual lol Smile

http://lenta.ru/news/2012/11/21/form1/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:27 pm 

Haha, well, not hetro at all, lol.

Well, the winter Digi FLORA is a bit thin, I think, but I assume it might have better isolation than the "old" winter FLORA. (?)

The GORKA is quite funny, a patch of Digi FLORA here, and a patch there XD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:21 pm 

They've since made improvements. I'll have one of the new sets shipping to me sometime later on and hopefully I'll do a review comparison.

This new uniform benefits over the M88 by being windproof, rain resistant, having more removable accessories, and less breathable allowing the body to retain its heat better. The issues they had were with insulation it seems, which would not make the suit resistant from 'chilling,' in such harsh winds and cold temperatures.