Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Russian Helmet Reference Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47 pm 

GabrielMK3 wrote:
My head is so heavy from before, so my neck-muscles are really boosted.
One day I ran around in the forest with some steel helmet weighing about 3 kilos for 16 hours straight. No problem! Laughing

Wow, your neck muscles must be really well developed. I was used wearing my M68 Steel Helmet and when I started using the MICH Helmet, I found that the US Made helmet is actually lighter and it feels lighter too due to the padding. Although my long use of the M68 Helmet trained my neck muscles so I feel comfortable wearing helmets for long periods of time. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:29 pm 

Hah, they're actually pretty badly developed - I have a lot of problems with the muscles because they're too tense etc. and I cannot afford the "free" medical care of the "welfare state". lol

But they do handle my "elephant head" lol. But I get proper neck-pains after 12 hours of steel helmets. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:24 pm 

Jesus I forgot all about this thread... I need to add a few more later on haha. And hopefully get some better quality photos. Thanks for the positive input though. Though I doubt movie producers really care too much about details here in the U.S. anymore. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 pm 

Well, I must personally thank you, Taurus, again! This is one helluva thread! Very Happy

BTW, US-moviemakers don't care: did I mention the new Red Dawn being "DPRKans" in Chinese digital camo? Hah! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 am 

I cant remember which movie it was but they had guns with acog scopes fitted wrong way round lol Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 pm 

AlexUK wrote:
I cant remember which movie it was but they had guns with acog scopes fitted wrong way round lol Smile

Great...

What's next? GP mask for radiation protection?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 am 

Haha, that's already been done too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 am 

After reading a lot of S.T.A.K.E.R. books (shame they mainly avialible in Russian but there are loads of them) i am starting to wonder, they keep drinking vodka saying that it partially helps to remove minor radiation poisoning. How much truth is that? And why would they have to come up with excuses for drinking vodka anyways! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:10 am 

AlexUK wrote:
After reading a lot of S.T.A.K.E.R. books (shame they mainly avialible in Russian but there are loads of them) i am starting to wonder, they keep drinking vodka saying that it partially helps to remove minor radiation poisoning. How much truth is that? And why would they have to come up with excuses for drinking vodka anyways! Smile

Apparently alcohol does limit the damage radiation does to the body. I have here the book with the true story of the K-19 submarine that the movie is based on, and the captain recounts that the chief engineer got hammered before going into the reactor chamber because he didnt want to bottle at the last minute, and while the others who worked on the reactor died within days he suffered only some mild radiation effects. Some of the guys I was in Chechnya with told me they used to have a shot or two of vodka a day in the field because the alcohol cleans the blood and helps to counter the threat of infection due to unhygienic field conditions. I dont know if this is true or not but I partook of this custom myself and didnt come down with anything!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 am 

Taurus wrote:
Haha, that's already been done too.

Ach, what has the world come to?! Sad Hahaha

@Vityaz: Yes, red wine and also possibly vodka might help for minor radiation exposure, I once read this while studying: "A study by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 2008 concluded that Resveratrol, the natural antioxidant commonly found in red wine and many plants, might offer protection against radiation exposure, and when altered with acetyl, resveratrol administered before radiation exposure proved to protect cells from radiation in mice."

Vodka contains antioxidants, but varies from what the ethanol is made from, and if the vodka is flavoured or not. But red wine's got a lot.

Also, blood-borne parasites can be killed by alcoholized blood. But, depending on the infecter, you might need to drink more or less. Which might result in you getting quite drunk if you want to get rid of some infections. But it does indeed work, and keeps the blood pure! to a certain degree of course. Can't cure HIV/AIDS with alcohol, unless you drink 10 bottles of vodka... But then, you might just have gotten rid of yourself too! Rolling Eyes

AlexUK wrote:
And why would they have to come up with excuses for drinking vodka anyways! Smile

Never need an excuse to drink vodka! Laughing