Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Russian Helmet Reference Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:46 pm 

Hello everyone,

I wanted to experiment with a helmet reference thread from my own personal collection to try and spread useful information around collectors and reenactors who frequent this site. I apologize for some of the image quality and content, it will be improved and added upon when time allows. Improvement suggestions can be submitted bellow. As for now let's get started.

So far here is what we have:

SSh-40 Militsiya - Traffic Police variation

The SSh-40 was the last helmet used by the Soviet Union during the Great Patriotic War. The only external difference between the SSh-39 and the ssh-40 were the six rivets near the bottom of the helmet, as opposed to the three near the top of the SSh-39 shell. Rivet placement of the SSh-40 was due to a newly-introduced liner, simpler and more sturdy than the previous versions. It was produced from 1940 through 1960.

This version was designated for use by the Soviet Traffic Police. More reading regarding this type of helmet can be found here: http://www.militaryheadgear.com/items/330

SSh-60 Helmet with 'self-made' KZS camouflage cover

SSh-60 (romanized from СШ-60) is a steel helmet introduced in 1960 in the Soviet Union. The outward appearance of the SSh-60 is identical to that of the SSh-40, the shell has the same size and shape. The difference is in the liner, which was replaced by a more comfortable, four piece model consisting of four fake leather flaps with drawstrings on both the upper part of the head and around the forehead and neck. [1]

The SSh-60 was replaced in 1968 by the new SSh-68, the differences being the shape of the shell and new sorts of chin straps. As the SSh-60 looks identical to the SSh-40 when worn, it is hard to tell from photos how widespread their use was. The short time of manufacture would suggest that these were rather limited in numbers when compared to the SSh-40. [1]

SSh-68 helmet used in conjunction with KML suit

SSh-68 (romanized from СШ-68) is a steel helmet introduced in 1968 in the Soviet Union. [1]

The SSh-68 was the most common steel helmet in use during the Soviet war in Afghanistan and the First and Second Chechen wars. It uses the same four piece liner as the SSh-60, but the shell has a more cone-like shape, as opposed to the earlier round ones. Albeit old, the SSh-68 can still be seen in use, along with it's predecessors. [1]

SSSh-94 'Sfera or Sphere' Helmet
Ukrainian Variation

The SSSh-94 is the successor to the STSh-81 and is currently produced by Classcom. Outwardly similar to its predecessor, the introduction of steel armor allowed for improved quality and protection at the cost of additional weight (The STSh-81 weighs 2.4kg while teh SSSh-94 weighs 3.3kg). The steel used in the SSSh-94 is of the same type as that used in the Maska series of helmets. [1]

In both examples, the helmet design consists of three plates: two round ones on the sides of the head, and one bow-shaped one that sits on top, stretching from the neck to the forehead. These plates are kept together by a padded cover, with drawstring to adjust the size and fit of the plates. The helmet may also be camouflaged with a helmet cover which appears in such patterns as VSR and Flora. [1]

In addition to the original Russian helmets, Ukrainian and Polish analogues exist. [1]

6B7 Ballistic Helmet

No definitive sources exist to fully define the 6B7 ballistic helmet. Photographs suggest it was used primarily during the early stages of the 2nd Chechen conflict and issued only to infantry and used as part of the Barmica, or more popularly Barmitsa system which is a modern Russian improvement system for individual soldiers. The word tanslates to Aventail, a piece of medieval armor prolific for Russia. [1]

'Kolpak-1' Riot Helmet

No definitive source exists to fully define the Kolpak-1. However, the helmet provides protection against attacks with blunt objects; Weights less then 1kg. [1] It has been seen in use primarily by OMON, OSN Saturn, and FSIN in photographs.

'SKIF' SF Helmet

The SKIF helmet is a ballistic helmet designed by the company Armocom. It is primarily seen in use by MVD special forces such as OSN Rosich and has also seen use by OSN Saturn.

The helmet is lightweight compared to most SF helmets and features a 3-point chin strap, a multitude of helmet covers, soft cap liner, internal suspension system, detachable visor, titanium/steel front plate, and aramid/Kevlar soft armor on the left and right side of the helmet.

MASKA-1/-1Shch

TIG Helmet (Old Model)

Altyn Helmet

K6-3

LsHZ-2DT with visor not shown

Zsh-1-2M

RBR PASGT (Designed by United Kingdom, used by TsSN Alfa)

References:

[1] http://ra.spetsnaz.su/wiki/Main_Page

Post subject: Re: Russian Helmet Reference Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:27 pm 

Thank you very much for an extremely helpful and enjoyable reference thread!

-G

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 am 

Thanks for the awesome thread brother! Very Happy Lots of good information here, maybe someone in Hollywood or in the movie industry can use this for more accurate war film props.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:30 pm 

gafrin wrote:
Thanks for the awesome thread brother! Very Happy Lots of good information here, maybe someone in Hollywood or in the movie industry can use this for more accurate war film props.

I hope so... Because props like these have been extremely poor in the films lately...
Good example is the new version of Red Dawn, where the Korean People's Army attacks - in Chinese desert-digital camo... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:19 pm 

Absolutely amazing collection! Thank you so much for sharing it with us and also for giving such good historical description for all helmets. I think i didnt know 90% of that. My favorites are Altyn and Maska-1. Funny how you made a post about helmets when i ordered Sphere just two days ago Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:03 pm 

Where did you order Sphera from? O.o It'll be quite nice to see it in action.

I must say, TiG, Altyn and MASKA are my favourites as well... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 pm 

Vlad sells Spheras here lol Smile

http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/Product_ ... BLACK.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 am 

Yeah, I thought you'd bought it here!

Good stuff for Vlad! Very Happy

Bought any helmetcovers in the same deal?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 am 

Yup i took urban Specnaz cover to go with it, its bloody heavy think i will use it for CQB games only.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:51 pm 

My head is so heavy from before, so my neck-muscles are really boosted.
One day I ran around in the forest with some steel helmet weighing about 3 kilos for 16 hours straight. No problem! Laughing