Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Concerned Customer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 am 

Today I received my order of a 'Russian Army PBF Gas Mask' in white. At first I was happy with the product but then after some more inspection of the product I noticed some of the plastic/rubber of the mask had severely perished around the ear area. Probably if I tried to stretch it onto my head a couple more times it would rip, and that's not something I want to happen. The description of the product says "new, unused mask in perfect condition!" But the product seems to be used, and is not in perfect condition. After reading some reviews it seems the mask is supposed to have chalk powder on it, to protect the rubber? But my mask had none of this.

I hope there is something there can be done about this otherwise I won't be ordering from SovietArmyStuff again.

Post subject: Re: Concerned Customer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 pm 

Chalk powder isn't as common as we would like to think; a great deal of my gas masks I had once purchased from here were shelf stored in a warehouse. Chalk powder was something liberally distributed among the masks when stored in wooden crates. Once opened most were dusted off and contained in a dry area.

As for the weak spots in the ears; if I'm certain of what you're speaking of those areas are designed to be thinner, (certain areas where a circular depression is featured) to make hearing easier when wearing the mask.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:52 am 

The masks are all new and unused, the chalk powder isn't hard and fast. As for the rubber as Taurus has pointed out it does tend to be thinner around the ears to allow for hearing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 pm 

These almost completely perished areas around the ear aren't what I would call perfect condition. (The red line is showing the affected areas)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:42 pm 

Seems there is some wear around the ear indentation, I see what you mean now.

Well I think personally there are two ways to fix the issue; the one I have done in the past is to self repair the item, in the past I've repaired gas masks with an adhesive substance (superglue, rubber cement, Gore-Tex patch kit, hot glue, etc.) then coat with a polyurethane aerosol after drying which will create an extra seal over the adhesive.

Otherwise I would recommend sending an email to the store owner, Vlad, directly and see if he can hand pick one out to resend to you.

These masks are very old, went out of production during the 80's so there will be some problems from time to time. If you're wanting one for practical use I would suggest getting a new production variant like the PMK or a good civilian one by Mestel Safety or MSA.