Sovietarmystuff.com

Russian / Soviet Army Surplus Items
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GP-5 and Ushanka
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:48 pm 

After 11 or 12 days, my order has arrived. I ordered a size 2 GP-5 Gas Mask and a brown Ushanka.

The box was covered in neat Ukrainian postage stamps, which I have cut from the box and intend to keep and collect, as I plan to order again in the future.

The Ushanka is perfect. Fits snugly on my head, and has no damage.

The gas mask was not the one that I ordered. I ordered a GP-5, though received a ShMS Soviet Military NCO Officer NBC mask. I was not disappointed however, as I have decided that, rather than asking for a refund or swap, that I will simply order another GP-5, and start a collection. I am pleased with the service, and despite receiving the wrong mask, I am not disheartened, and will order again soon.

Thank you Vlad!

Post subject: Re: GP-5 and Ushanka
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:59 pm 

Just realized, this might have belonged in the feedback section. If so, I apologize!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:13 pm 

Thank you for posting your experience and I'm glad you are satisfied. I'm sorry you got the wrong gas mask though. Vlad is easy to speak with and you could easily organize an exchange if you change your mind about the mask.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 pm 

Sorry about the mask problems, but its posted in the right section!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:07 pm 

gafrin wrote:
Thank you for posting your experience and I'm glad you are satisfied. I'm sorry you got the wrong gas mask though. Vlad is easy to speak with and you could easily organize an exchange if you change your mind about the mask.

I noticed! Everyone is very nice here, and Vlad seems more than generous. Regardless, I am happy with what I received, and will simply make an order in a few days for a GP-5. The quality of the mask I received has convinced me that they are both good as collectors items and for functional use, should catastrophe strike. I think I will try to get a white GP-5, a black GP-5, a GP-6, a GP-7, and a PMG, though this will, of course, take time.

I dislike the GORILLA masks, for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:09 pm 

Oh, and as a side note. The ushanka itches my forehead after extended wear. It warms easily: is there a way to counteract this? Perhaps a wash with water or a particular solution?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:53 pm 

I'm not sure how to counteract the itchiness of the Ushanka, since unfortunately I do not own one. So hopefully some of the other members may answer your question.

However, my itch from wearing my Gas Masks for 1 day periods are gone if I put lots of baby powder in my face before wearing them. I have the gorilla mask and I have to say to helmet design is really uncomfortable, especially if you have long hair. It's hard to aim a rifle with it on, though I'm sure other masks are hard to aim with as well, especially without any training. Still it still works and is pretty intimidating, so I don't blame people that use them.

BTW, I just saw that you are our newest member. So I want to offer you my belated welcome to our forums! Very Happy I'm sorry I didn't welcome you earlier, I was a little sleepy during my first post and didn't realize you were a new member.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm 

Thank you! And I don't really plan on doing much airsofting, paintballing or shooting. I have very long hair, and usually would wear an english "pilot" style cap or a knock-off ushanka-UK hybrid off the markets here, though I decided I wanted something proper, and the hammer & sickle pin appealed strongly to me.

The mask is for personal reasons, rather than function, though it is still good to know that I have functional protection against chemicals and airborne bacteria and such!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:18 pm 

Welcome comrade. I have an East German Ushanka, and it gets a bit itchy. I've never tried to do much though. Just scratch your itch.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:38 pm 

You could try fabric softener for the itch, mine is the same I just live with it!